So you’re sick of your daughter’s cheesy pop music interrupting your classical background music while you cook. We hear you. You just need to get yourself set up right.
You can enjoy streaming music on Spotify on the Google Home or Google Nest smart speaker perched on your kitchen bench whilst your daughter has a dance party in her room with her own Google smart speaker. Heck, if your husband wants to play RnB music in his man cave while you’re at it, you can do that too!
Download the Google Home and Spotify apps and set up your accounts
If you haven’t already, download the Google Home app (Android or iOS) and the Spotify app (Android or iOS) to each of your smartphones or tablets. Now set up a Google Home account and Spotify account for each of you. It doesn’t matter if you have a free, ad-supported Spotify account or you pay for Spotify Premium, you can connect your Spotify account to your Google Home account.
Link Spotify to your Google Home account
To link your Spotify account to Google Home account, take the following steps:
- Make sure your smartphone or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Google smart speaker.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap Account in the top-right.
- Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your Google Home or Google Nest smart speaker. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
- Back on the home screen, tap + in the top-left, then Music and audio
6. Select Spotify and tap Link Account, then Log in to Spotify.
Then repeat this process on with your daughter’s accounts, then do the same for your husband.
Set Spotify as the default player
Once you’ve linked each of your Spotify accounts to your Google Home accounts, you can make Spotify the default player on each of your Google speakers so you don’t have to specify “on Spotify” at the end of each voice command. Google Home gives you this option when you ask it to play music. Simply say “yes” to agree!
You can also make Spotify the default player manually:
- In the Google Home app, tap the menu in the top left.
- Tap Music.
- Select Spotify to set as the default music player for your Google Home.
Now that Spotify is set as the default player, you can each go ahead and ask Google Assistant to play your favourite music on your respective Google speaker.
Just say, “Heh Google”, then…
- “Play my Cooking playlist”.
- “Pause this song.”
Or, “Hey Google”, then…
- “Play my Discover Weekly playlist”.
- “Turn up the volume”.